Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean Black HX9924 / 14 was tested by Olivia Walmsley. That’s her verdict.
I had previously used an Oral-B Pro 2000 and was pretty happy. I was curious about the Phillips model, mainly because of the huge price difference. The matt black toothbrush with its stylish glass holder and charger definitely looked good. The action of the brush took some getting used to – it seemed to vibrate much faster (31,000 pulsations per minute according to the leaflet) than Oral-B and therefore tended to inject toothpaste in the bathroom. On the plus side, my teeth felt squeaky clean after brushing my teeth.
I experimented with different modes (there are five: cleaning for daily cleaning, white to remove surface stains, deep cleansing and gum health) and the three speeds before I set myself to a medium speed, gum health setting. The brush was able to remove stubborn plaque along the gum line on my posterior molars, which I had to contend with the Oral-B.
I downloaded the app, which displays the area you brushed, highlights where you have not been, and alerts you if you press too hard. too much pressure can be more harmful than too little. I have to admit that I gave it up pretty quickly. There is only so much time that I can devote to my teeth, much to the annoyance of my dentist.
The glass holder was also dropped fairly quickly because the brush often toppled over and stopped loading. The slim travel case with integrated charger is a particularly useful addition, as is the special tongue cleaning brush head. All in all, this is an impressive toothbrush, but it should be for that price.
- 3 in built Smart Sensors: Location, Pressure and motion
- 5 modes: Clean, White+, Deep Clean+, Gum Health and Tongue Care+
- 4 Premium brush heads giving exceptional results with 10x more plaque removal*, whiter teeth in just 3 days**, up to 7x healthier gums in just 2 weeks* and long lasting fresh breath
- Stylish charging glass and USB charging deluxe travel case
- Connect to FREE Philips Sonicare App for real time feedback and coaching to improve your technique
- With Amazon Dash Replenishment, you can setup automatic deliveries so you never run out of brush heads again